Friday, February 8, 2013

Two Very Good Things To Ponder

With all that clamors for my attention in today's high-tech world, it is good for a Bible-taught Christian to ask two questions periodically. The first would be "What has God been doing in my life?" and the second is "How am I doing at walking with Him by faith and growing in my obedience to His word?"

Yesterday was my first grandchild's 10th birthday; a perfect time for me to step back and think about how life was when she arrived ten years ago. My observation was a resounding "Wow!" In those ten years Mark and I have grown in our faith. This has happened against a backdrop of prayer and constant reminders that there is much we don't control, but we belong to a God who is sovereign.

 We have watched as our daughter has changed from living out the world's view of life to caring very much about what the Savior thinks she should be doing. She has become an amazing mother to her 10 year old daughter and 2 year old son. She is growing as a wife, an employee at her part time job and as a child of God. By God's grace she finished her bachelor of science degree through eight years of persevering, one course at a time. I am so amazed as I see her priorities lining up with what a "woman after God's own heart" would value. She is part of a warm, Bible teaching church family where she not only attends but serves. She is learning the value of not only carrying her own burden, but also helping others carry theirs. That brings Mark and I much joy.

To add to all these blessings, we now have a wonderful relationship with a sweet granddaughter who has come to be such a vital part of our lives. At supper the other night, I was telling her that Bebaw (Mark) and I want to be influences for God's kingdom in her life and her brother's. "Memaw," she said, "You already are; half the things I know about the Christian life, I learned from you and Bebaw." I smile to myself as I recall a memory. It was her response at 4 years of age when I explained what "All we like sheep have gone astray" meant. "Everyone is a sinner?" she queried. I nodded. "Even Bebaw?" (Her grandfather) When I again said "yes" she put her hand on her hip and asked "Well what did he ever do?" He still smiles when I tell that story.

Yes, our God has done much in those ten years. I am in a good place when I critique my own walk with Him and look for signs that I have grown in my obedience to Him in those years as well. If you ask me what there is left to accomplish in my heart, the list is still substantial. I want the next ten years, Lord permitting, to be marked by even more evidence that I am His obedient child, not perfect by a long shot, but confessing and forsaking all known sin in my life. I want to care about the things that the Savior has for me to do. I want to be that woman He had in mind when He created me.

Below is a copy of the email I sent out to my friends the night Summer was born. I am so glad that I kept it. Time has a way of robbing the mind of the little details that make a memory precious. I am thankful that our granddaughter is another proof that every child is a gift from the Giver of all good things.

Juno email printed Saturday, 8 Feb 2003 00:14:03
Subect: Summer is here!
Dear Ones:
How can I describe in mere words the joy that was mine today as I held our darling granddaughter for the first time? I've now joined the ranks of starstruck adults who babble on to anyone who will listen about their grandchildren! Oh well! Thank you for your prayers! God was listening and we had an amazing day.

Heather's day began with a great deal of anxiety over the surgery she was facing. I just kept asking God to use me to reassure her that she could do it and soon she would be looking into the sweet face of the little darling that had been kicking her all these 5 months. The anxiety came to a crescendo when they sent me to get dressed in OR garb and wheeled Heather into the OR suite and placed her on what she thought was the narrowest bed imaginable! She was sure she was going to fall off! She saw the bright lights, thought of every ER show she'd ever seen, and started to feel the panic rising inside her. She told me that she was thinking of telling the anaesthesiologist that he would have to put her asleep; she just couldn't go through with the spinal. Suddenly, she remembered her Aunt Carolyn, who had four C-sections, and had given her a pep talk the night before. She later told me "I thought if Aunt Carolyn can do this four times, I can do it once!"

I arrived shortly after that and before we knew it we could hear both the surgeon and the assistant exclain together "Oh my gosh!" (They were impressed with the size of Summer's head.) Heather looked at me and said "WHAT'S WRONG?" The circulating nurse quickly reassured us that all was well. They were just commenting on the baby's size.

Dr. Wolcott, not one to dawdle, clamped the cord and held her aloft for both of us to see and exclaimed "Here's your baby girl!" Heather and I were truly amazed and suddenly our hearts melted as we looked at this little (!) sweetheart and realized she was ours.
I'll close with the details: birth time: 1:06 pm, birthweight: 10lb 8oz; her length: 20 3/4 "
She has lots of thick dark hair and dark, bright eyes. We will have some pictures to share with you soon, but in the meantime, thankyou for your prayers and your love.
I'll close for now. It's after midnight, and as grandmothers tire easily, I'm heading up to bed and taking the grandpa with me!
Praise God for this gift of life!
love to all,
Jo

As I finish this post, it occurs to me how much God uses His people to love and support us in times of crisis. There are many Christian friends and family that have, over the past years, added their touch to invest in Summer's life. God works, and he uses His people to do what He has in mind. No Lone Rangers. I am grateful to be His child and forever a part of His family.

2 comments:

  1. What sweet thoughts and words. Motherhood sure takes us into unknown territory! Grandmotherhood makes up for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a hearty "Amen" to that bit of truth! Thank you, Patti

      Delete